Monday, January 18, 2010

We grow neither better nor worse as we get old,
but more like ourselves.

May Lamberton Becker

Last week, as I wrote, Nick and I went to see Up in The Air. Really loved it, great movie. Go see it if you haven't yet.

Nick was laughing so hard doing a monologue by Natalie, played by Anna Kendrick because it was pretty much me. And sometimes, you just have to laugh at your idiosyncrasies.

When I was sixteen, I thought by twenty three, I would be married, maybe have a kid…corner office by day, entertaining by night. I was supposed to be driving a Grand Cherokee by now.

Now I have my sights set on twenty nine, because thirty is just way too…apocalyptic.

Sometimes it feels like no matter how much success I have, it all won’t matter until I find the right guy. I could have made it work. He really just fit the bill.

You know, white collar. College grad. Loves dogs. Likes funny movies. Six foot one. Brown hair. Kind eyes. Works in finance but is outdoorsy, you know, on the weekends. I always imagined he would have a single syllable name like Matt or John…..or Dave. In a perfect world he drives Four Runner and the only thing he loves more than me is his Golden Lab. Oh…and a nice smile.


Except my one syllable love is Nick.

6 comments:

gv said...

When I saw that movie, it totally reminded me of myself too! But my one syllable love is Matt!

Anonymous said...

I really need to go see this!

Princess Freckles said...

I think its great how we, as women, have the idea of the "perfect" husband when we're younger. I need to see this film! I bet I'll also see much of myself in this character.

Lisa said...

LOL, mine is named "Nick", too, but he drives a truck ;-) (And works outside pretty much every day.)

But otherwise... yeah, spot on.

Kristen said...

My single syllable is Dan and thank goodness he married me at 29! :)

Ashley (whole-ier) said...

that is so funny! all i can think about is you saying you want a girl named Kate. one syllable. Not Katie but just Kate.

love it.

 
Blog Designed by: Ashley @ hipposcraps.com