Sunday, February 24, 2008

Every dog must have his day.
Jonathan Swift

I stopped by a local pet fair yesterday afternoon. Lots of vendor tents, yippy dogs in strollers and poor Labradors forced to wear sunglasses. Currently being a cat lady, I think those crazy dog people are funny.

But the highlight of the afternoon was stopping by the local Greyhound rescue tent. I have always had a soft spot for rescued animals (Bella came from the Humane Society) but was also cautious about the possibility of adopting an older dog. I'm sure so much of my hesitation is unfounded but I have just heard to many stories from close friends and family about biting dogs because it is just so hard to know their background or breed.

Sure, Bella is weird having been in the shelter for almost three years but I don't have to worry about her causing serious physical harm to a young child or even myself.

So the possibility of being able to adopt an adult dog is great to learn about. I "pitched" all that I had heard about Greyhounds to Nick last night and we decided that after the wedding when we're ready to get the dog it will be a Greyhound. Yay!

To learn more about this great breed that needs your help you can visit my local shelter's website: Homeward Bound Greyhounds.

1 comment:

Natalie at Our Old Southern House said...

yay!! dogs are wonderful! :-) (early) congratulations on your new addition!!

 
Blog Designed by: Ashley @ hipposcraps.com