Tuesday, July 14, 2009

No entertainment is so cheap as reading,
nor any pleasure so lasting.

Mary Wortley Montagu

Edit at 5:28 p.m.: For those of you who have read the book below you'll understand - I went out to clip my basil plant and propped right on top was a baby praying mantis. It made me smile.

First, I had a wonderful weekend with Melissa while she was in town. Unfortunately my camera didn't really cooperate, so I'll have to share some pictures when I get them from her.

With an enjoyable Sunday of reading by the pool I was able to finish The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb. As I noted in my previous post, I love this author and couldn't wait to read the book. Of course, it was great as I expected.

I loved how the author tied in a character, Dominick Birdsey, from one of his other books, I Know This Much is True. It was like getting a glimpse at how Dominick was doing today which was a neat tie-in. The writing is flawless and so engaging. I do have to say I found myself skimming over parts where family letters were incorporated. That one storyline of the book felt like a little much, as if I just wanted to get back to the present day story and not ready letters by his great-great grandmother from the 1800s.

Other than that, I'd highly recommend not only this book but the other two Wally Lamb books currently out. I was excited to learn a fourth fiction novel is expected to be released in the late fall. Hooray!

I've just started reading Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates. I promised myself I'd read the book before I saw the movie adaptation. So far, so good.

10 comments:

d.a.r. said...

I love Wally Lamb's books!!

Anonymous said...

I've never read anything by Wally Lamb, but I clicked over and read about the books and they look great -- I might just have to check them out.

gv said...

Glad you had a good visit with your friend!

Whitney said...

I need to check that book out!

misss_e said...

Oh goody. Im going to get these for my vacay next week!

Rachel H. said...

I'll have to check them out them out! Sounds pretty good!

Angie said...

I saw the Revolutionary Road movie and HATED it. I mean I love the acting, and the sets, but the story was depressing. I left just depressed and sad. I bet the book is alot better.

Princess Freckles said...

I'd like to rent that movie, because I have no idea what its about! That almost never happens!

Anonymous said...

that is such a good quote! It is so true!

Busy Bee Suz said...

Oh, how I love wally lamb..can't wait to tackle this one!!

 
Blog Designed by: Ashley @ hipposcraps.com